Sunday

Tick Tock... Altered Clock

Hello again!!! Today's project features an altered clock that I worked on yesterday at a monthly crop that I coordinate for a bunch of die-hard crafters. It started out as a plain white plastic clock that I picked up at Target for less than $5 dollars... the face is about 8 inches in diameter and fills a need that I had for my craft room. I have a little desk clock in there, but it always get buried beneath whatever project I happen to be working on at the time. Besides, I wanted to showcase a couple of new In-Colors, and a lovely patterned paper design from the new and upcoming "Razzleberry Lemonade" paper collection that will be available for purchase from the new catalog starting July 1st. I really adore this paper collection!!! Be prepared because I will be using lots, and lots, and lots of it!!! :)

It wasn't difficult to remove the front clear plastic cover that protected the clock hands, so if you would like to try this and purchase this same clock at Target, just go slow and press in the two little tabs on the back of the clock for removal. After the cover was removed, I gently pulled off the clock hands and carefully peeled off the paper with the clock's numbers. I used this paper as a template for the patterned paper and just used small scissors to cut around it. I did lightly sponge the patterned paper circle around the outer edge and hole for the clock's spindle with Crushed Curry ink.

The outside plastic was painted with acrylic paint and distressed with a sponge and brown ink. I chose a purple that very closely matched Rich Razzleberry and golden yellow that resembled Crushed Curry. Once distressed with the brown ink, the colors turned out looking aged and "antiquey" (is that a word? LOL!!). Once the paint job was the way that I wanted it, I put a coat of ModgePodge over the whole thing. NOTE - If and when I do this again (as it would make a GREAT gift!), I am going to use masking-tape to protect the clock spindle and spray paint a primer coat all over the plastic before painting. The acrylic paint can be easily scratched off otherwise.... that's why I ended up using ModgePodge to (hopefully) protect the paint job. However, since it's a clock and will only be handled when I change the battery, I think this will be OK and last a long time.


The numbers on the clock were made with corduroy buttons (non-SU) and altered/sanded chipboard diamonds from the Blossoms & Basics chipboard collection (retired). I used the BigShot and Little Leaves Sizzlet die to make an arrangement of leaves on the clock face. The butterflies were stamped with Rich Razzleberry ink using the butterfly stamp from the Great Friend stamp set, then cut out and glued onto the clock face with the wing tips slightly curled upward (HINT - make sure nothing is too tall to impede the movement of the clock's hands!). I assembled my clock back together, inserted a battery, and Voila... it's finished and ready for display!!

I hope you enjoyed taking a look at my altered clock... and I hope it inspired you to try this project out for yourself! It wasn't hard to do at all, but it did take me all day to do it (of course, I spent ALOT of time talking, listening, laughing, going out for a dinner run, then talking, laughing... HEY, you get the gist.... a roomful of crafters are too much fun! Tee hee! Have a great week ahead, and come back soon! Till next time... :)

Stamps: Great Friend
Paper: Old Olive, Whisper White, Razzleberry Lemonade designer series paper collection
Ink: Rich Razzleberry, Crushed Curry, brown staz-on, acrylic paints
Accessories: small paintbrushes, sponges, BigShot, Little Leaves sizzlet, mono-multi glue, corduroy buttons, chipboard, sanding block, ModgePodge, clock!

11 comments:

Lisa Page said...

How completely gorgeous! I can't wait to get the new catalog and peruse. This clock is an awesome example of what to do with the new cattie products and you did such a wonderful job! TFS!

Shellie G. said...

Wow June, Your clock is absolutely fabulous! I never would have though that you had painted the clock frame if you hadn't of said so. My clock in my studio was made by me but I did it at a Color-Me-Mine studio. Though very cute it was nearly as inexpensive as yours was to make. I can't wait to get my hands on all the new dsp. It's all so awesome. "See" ya soon! shellie :-)

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

This is wonderful, June!!! I already have a clock that I've been meaning to alter... but time seems to just get away from me these days!! Maybe this is just the inspiration I need to get moving on that project!!

Twila said...

June! I love it! What a super idea. It's just beautiful. I think you're on a role, lady!

Jamie Hurley said...

It is totally gorgeous! I only wish I had an ounce of that talent! Great project!

Sara Mattson-Blume said...

WOWZer! June, you have outdone yourself and that is saying a lot! Holy Cow! I love this! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

Karen Urbisci said...

Wow what a great clock!! I guess I am going to have to try one myself!!! Thanks for sharing this is great!

Rose said...

Your idea of altering a clock is great. I really need a clock for my craft room and you have inspired me. I love your clock by the way.

Karen said...

I bought a similar clock at Walmart years ago and it is still sitting there. Yours is the most beautiful altered clock I have ever seen! Might have to copy!

Catrules said...

WOW I love this!!! It is amazing!!!

Chrissie said...

It is absolutely beautiful! I want to go out and make one! Thanks for sharing your amazing creation!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin