Tuesday

Alcohol Etching Technique


Well, I was playing around this morning thinking of a card for SCS's CC186 color combination challenge, and came up with a new technique (to me anyway). I've not seen this done before, so I'm going to call this "alcohol etching". It's extremely simple to do, and couple of practice sessions will make you a pro. Oh, before I forget, those with sensitive noses may want to have a fan blowing because of the use of ethyl rubbing alcohol that is used for this technique.

What you will need:
Solid stamp
Staz-On black or brown solvent ink
acetate (transparency)
double-sided removeable tape (optional)
ethyl rubbing alcohol (just pour a small amount into the lid)
smallest make-up sponge you can find (I actually ended up using SU's chalk sponge applicator, and now this sponge applicator is dedicated for this technique because it does get stained with Staz-On)

OK - ready to start? Here we go....


1) Using the repositionable double-sided tape, adhere your transparency sheet onto your scratch paper. Stamp your solid stamp image in Staz-On ink onto your transparency. Don't worry about any areas with ink that doesn't transfer. Give it a few seconds to dry. Here I used the coneflower from Inspired By Nature.


2) Dip your tiny tipped sponge applicator into the alcohol and begin rubbing areas of ink that you want to remove. You know, maybe even one of those flat toothpicks would work for this... gotta try it out - I say this because I ended up trimming the very tip of the sponge off the applicator and used the plastic tongue that was inside to scrape the alcohol-moistened areas on some parts of the coneflower.... so I used the spongey part to remove ink from larger areas and the plastic to scrape and create lines as seen above. Oh, did you notice that little grey shading directly under my fingers? That's from the little bit of alcohol dissolving/removing Staz-On from that area of the image .


3) When you've finished removing the ink that you want, simply rub the entire area with your finger to "erase" all the grey shadings (although, you may want to keep it as shadows seem really popular right now). I tried napkin too, but it seemed to me that the area cleaned up easier with my finger. Maybe that little bit of oil on your fingertips does the trick? Anyhow, once you're done cleaning up the area on the transparency, wash your hands so you don't transfer black smudges onto your cardstock or paper while you finish up your project...


And, there you have it - your alcohol etched image!

For the rest of the card details, the background was created by using a post-it and sponging my sunrise and ocean onto Whisper White. I stamped the sentiment in the upper left corner and added the finished transparency. Brads were inserted and this was layered a couple times before adhering to the cardbase. Don't forget to work in some creative time today - I hope you give this technique a whirl....

Stamps: Inspired by Nature
Cardstock: Baja Breeze, Chocolate Chip, Really Rust, Whisper White
Inks: Baja Breeze, Summer Sun, More Mustard, Really Rust, Chocolate Chip, black, Staz-On black, and a very small touch of Pacific Point for the horizon
Accessories: acetate (transparency), double-sided tape, ethyl alcohol, tiny SU chalk sponge applicator, sponge daubers, silver brads, long post-it for horizon, 1/16 hole punch for the brads
Technique: Sponging and Alcohol Etching

Teaser Alert!! The finished card at the beginning of the post was the first coneflower that I did. The picture directly above is the second one done putting together a 3-D item for you to see tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by today, and I hope you come back and check out my take on something used for sweets tomorrow morning.... hint hint. ;)

3 comments:

Joanne said...

This is such a cool technique! I'm definitely going to be trying this. Thanks!

Jen said...

Wow, that's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing how you did that, I'll tuck that away for the future!

jack2304 said...

The technique you had applied is marvelous I am definitely going to try this.I hope it will success for me also.Thank you.
--------
Jones

Alcohol Rehab

Blog Widget by LinkWithin